Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rangoli-2

Friends here is some more about Rangolis.
I am sorry I could not post these before Sankranthi. It could have been helpful to some of you. But I have decided to post regularly some of the designs I know. That way I can build up a bank of designs, which would help people looking for them.
This time I am going to show you about the designs which are drawn using lines. Well these are almost free hand but use the help of strategically placed lines for guidance.
Strictly speaking these are what the puritans call the real Rangolis.Some of these are used for special rituals, or say occasions like the festival of Sankranti.. These are also known as Dravida Muggulu or the Dravidian style of Rangolis. But I find many similarities between these from South India and  those free hand designs from Bengal and Gujarat etc.


Here the basic guidelines for the design are the mesh lines as drawn in the last picture. With these four crossed lines, we can create so many designs.
 
This is one of the simple ones. Note that the 4 crossed lines in the center using dark blue are the guidelines or the base for drawing the designs. Now see how the different designs have been drawn using these four lines.

 


 


 


 

So just try out new designs, experiment and create your own designs. I will be posting some more designs as when I put them on the paper.

So what do you thing?

Please do leave comments and suggestions if any.

No comments: